I loved when Nanny made these pickles. She was still making them not long before she died in 2013, well into her 80’s. At that time, I could sit down and eat a quarter litre of them with bread and butter (or margarine). I can’t do that today, quantities are much more limited now, but I’m so happy I have her recipe. This recipe will yield about 5 litres.
- 4 quarts (imperial) cucumbers (thinly sliced)
- 6 medium onions (thinly sliced)
- 1 green pepper (cut into small chunks)
- 1 red pepper (cut into small chunks)
- 3 garlic cloves (thinly sliced and optional)
- 1/3 c salt
- ice (quite a bit)
- 3 c white vinegar
- 5 c sugar (I use 4)
- 1 1/2 tsp each of celery seed and turmeric
- 2 tbsp mustard seed
Place first 5 ingredients on ice with salt and let sit for 3 hours. Drain well. Place last 4 ingredients in a large pot (we prefer non-stick just in case). Bring to a boil. Add drained vegetables to the pot and bring to a boil, stirring often. Place in clean jars and seal.