I found this recipe on the back of an All-Bran box. I haven’t tried it yet but it sounds good as a meatless alternative. Add meat for the carnivore in you 🙂 Makes 6 servings, 400 calories, 5.0 g fat, 9.0 g dietary fibre.
- 1 tsp olive or vegetable oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 large carrot, finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried basil leaves
- 1 can (796 ml/28 fl oz) tomatoes
- 1 can (540 ml/19 fl oz) chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 c All-Bran Original cereal
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 lb fusilli pasta
- 1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
In a large non-stick skillet, over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion, carrot, and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 min. Stir in oregano and basil. Add tomatoes, break up with spoon. Stir in chickpeas and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 15 min., stirring occasionally.
Stir in cereal. Simmer 5 min. longer or until desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling water, cook fusilli until tender but firm and drain. Serve with sauce, sprinkle with cheese.